Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Its been a busy week.

Now that Style Wars is launched and in full swing, I can dedicate more time to my blogging!  I have been busy with press and tying ends with the show but its been an amazing experience.  I'm excited for you to watch it and meet my friends!

So full steam ahead for West 129.  Ever since the launch of the website and facebook, I've also added Twitter and a new Press and Photos section to the website.  Orders are being fulfilled and we've also a collaboration in the works (more about that later).

A new News section is going to be added to the website this weekend and I am proud to say that the main news for me to add is the fact that West 129 is collaborating with Fashion Workshops 2010.  The marriage of great minds of Caitriona and Katie who have education and fashion experience behind them has created an amazing programme for children aged 8 to 17.  Children get to learn about everything from sewing to designing to presentation and critical review.  

West 129 will be sponsoring time and supplies every Thursday to teach an accessories design crash course based on what I've learned in the fashion industry in New York.  The children will learn to work in a team with a brief, a mood board and supplies.  This reflects a real working environment where the creative director will decide the direction for the season and the design team are left with the responsibility to satisfy the mood and inspiration.  The children will then learn to delegate responsibility for the collection from design to production.  Each group will be given a collection to build; earrings, a necklace, a bracelet and an eyeglass chain.  The collection must reflect the mood board given and and be coherent and consistent as a collection.  This may seem like quiet a difficult endeavor for children so young but I think they will rise to the challenge and I will let you know Thursday evening how it unfolds!  This weeks mood boards are based on art, architecture, interior design, landscape and the traditional created mood board.   Fashion designers often get their inspiration from every nook and cranny of the globe.  It is always beyond the magazine and more based on what is in the world we live in so here are this weeks images.
Spanish illustrator Gary Fernandez

New York artist Tara Donovan
Sculptures created from styrofoam cups and glue

Israel-born architect Moshe Safdie

Saffire Freycinet Resort, Australia

Created by P.S I Made This

Images from The Coolhunter.


This weekend I really want to find the time to write another article.  The topic that interests me is the image of eyeglass wearers and their essence of "cool".  When I was little it wasn't cool to wear glasses but somehow somewhere it got cool.  I'm excited to explore but for now I have to do my research to write something decent.

Until then...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the Gary Fernandez illustration, and spent a whole hour browsing the rest of his work on the internets.