Thursday, May 20, 2010

If it's not rough it isn't fun - Part 2

So, as I said that the next installment of this nonsense would be to make a camisole out of silk and lace from my inventory of fashion paraphernalia. This I did.



Once again, very little utensils were used in its production. Scissors, sewing machine, ruler and pins. No pattern making, no intense measurements like I was dutifully taught at Parsons The Newschool for Design. None of that nonsense. Very, very 'sewing on the seat of my pants', so to speak. Raw edges galore, unmeasured cut seam allowances in abundance. In fact, I know that Larissa {my amazing construction teacher from Parsons would say "Zoë! Why you do???"}.

Regardless, this was a lot of fun. Rough, yes, but fun, and that's all we want.

I've decided from this little experiment to keep going until all my paraphernalia is nil. I have many swatches, swaths of fabric and not-whats. The next installment is to make a wee collection of soft toys from my swatches and buttons. This I know will be not only fun but a trip down memory lane from my days as a 6 year old. Everyone loves tchotchkes so don't be surprised if you're my friend and on your next birthday you receive a weird looking one legged doll made out of fabric!

No comments: