Sunday, May 9, 2010

Nana Fu


This is my wonderful grandmother.  I visit her every time I go to Hong Kong.  A few years ago during a sit, chat and fruit eating session, I noticed this portrait was above her bed.  I immediately gasped and gushed how beautiful my grandmother was.  I was so proud.  When I was given this photo, she said to me "I was around 13 in this photo, maybe a little older.  You should have it since you love it so much.  Nana isn't so beautiful anymore."

She explained how the colour was so vivid in the photo.  In the 1930s, a photo like this would have been taken and printed but it would have been taken to a colourist after and the artist would add the colour.  In this photo, her cheeks and lips have been brightened with the use of paint and brush.  It was the 1930s version of photoshop!

While Nana Fu is older now, I don't feel that she is any less beautiful, well at least in my eyes.  She's what I hope to be; aging gracefully, caring, generous, wise and continues to be the head of the household.  She is an inspiration and I thank her for giving me my magnificent mother.

I think if I was to save any photo in my house or paper document I would choose Nana Fu above any other.

If you have any beautiful vintage photos send them on by attaching them to your comment box.  Attach a quick story as to who the person is, and why you sent it - whether for the fashion or for the story, etc.

1 comment:

Salim said...

Im in love with Nana Fu.

Zoe you come from a beautiful grandmother. Love the photo and the thorough description of how her lips are so rosy red. Photoshop in the 30's wow. Its great to see things like this, the picture says class, sophistication and style. Makes me think about our photos today. We now have many more photos. Cameras, Memory Sticks, and the internet pushing people into becoming photo whores. What happened to quality like this? Seldom do we find class, sophistication and timelessness.

I have some family photos. None that go back to the 30's, but i can share. Option to attach doesn't look available..