Thursday, May 27, 2010

The one thing in common: Passion

Yesterday evening, I went to Dublin's 3rd Annual Ethical Fashion Week: Fashion Mentoring Sessions.  I got to meet people who all had one thing in common: Passion.  Whether it was for styling, ethical fashion, design, pr or fashion journalism, they all possessed an unwavering enthusiasm that inspired me.

I had the pleasure of meeting people such as Aine McDonnell (Rathdown Enterprise Board Mentor), Andreas Pettersson (Fashion Photographer), Angela Scanlon (Fashion Stylist & Journalist), Constance Harris (Fashion Editor of the Sunday Independent) and Matt Matheson & James O'Neill (of Thinkhouse PR) who were at the top of their field and was in the position to give sound advice to the career driven generation coming behind them.  They gave me the inspiration to work hard and tunnel all my energy into getting what I want through diligence and perseverance.  

Following the Mentoring Sessions, we were graced with the presence of Katharine Hamnett for a live interview with Constance Harris.


I have to shamefully admit that following her interview I snuck up to Katharine to gush at her and tell her how amazing and inspiring she was.  Yes, I'm a total nerdatron but I did a project on her during my time in Parsons and I just HAD to!!!

At Parsons we were taught that to be a great designer the most important aspect was to have a strong point of view.   Katharine Hamnett is a highly talented and intelligent designer because of the strength of her point of view and convictions.  She paved the way for ethical fashion and pioneered an ethical thought process that can and has changed the world.

Thank you Katharine Hamnett for telling me that while success can be measured in fame and monetary value, it is better for your soul to see your convictions through regardless of the obstacles.


No comments: