Wednesday, May 19, 2010

If it's not rough it isn't fun

As the Creative Director of Design at Libra Leather Inc, NYC, not only did I get to work with the great Mitch Alfus and Samantha Jones, I got creative freedom and some leather swatches and skins.

This morning at breakfast, I remembered that I had an amazing skin of washable pig suede in my inventory of fashion paraphernalia that I had yet to find a use for. Usually if I had enough I would make a jacket out of it but I only had one skin. {Oooh speaking of which, this leather would have looked so good in a neoprene and wool jacket! A sketch will have to be drawn up.} Instead I made myself a simple bag. 


I wasn't joking when I said if it's not rough it isn't fun! This bag is disgustingly rough but it was super fun to make. The reason I say this is because the only thing involved in its production was my Fiskars scissors, L-square ruler and my cheapo Lidl sewing machine. On my floor I laid out the leather, cut out a folded rectangle and sewed up the sides and the corner to give it depth. Then the handles; two approx. 1 inch strips sewed to the tops. Now I have to admit while this was rough, I did use a nifty sew stitch function for decoration. This was used on the handles and on the top side seams to reinforce my dodgy sewing work!


And that was it. Sometimes the best work is spontaneous. I added my vintage oversize safety pin that was given to me by my beautiful confidante and friend Jen Behar who happens to be an amazing jewellery designer based in L.A.  Check out her first collection by clicking on the link.


Next is going to be a lace and silk camisole.  I'm a bit nervous on this one but it's all about the designing and creating by the seat of your pants effect.  Wish me luck!

No comments: